Avocados are yummy AND good for you. According to Wikipedia:
"High avocado intake has been shown to have an effect on blood serum cholesterol levels. Specifically, after a seven day diet rich in avocados, hypercholesterolemia patients showed a 17% decrease in total serum cholesterol levels. These subjects also showed a 22% decrease in both LDL (bad cholesterol) and triglyceride levels and 11% increase in HDL (good cholesterol) levels....About 75% of an avocado's calories come from fat, most of which is monounsaturated fat. Avocados also have 60% more potassium than bananas. They are rich in B vitamins, as well as vitamin E and vitamin K. They have the highest fiber content of any fruit - including 75% insoluble and 25% soluble fiber."
I love cutting them open, popping out the stone and then either scooping them out, or slicing them and dicing them. It is fun! And adding them to lots of things really brightens up the menu. For example you can add them to:
1. Anything Mexican (duh!), except maybe margaritas...the avocado just gets soggy.
2. A piece of fish...I just had a salmon fillet and sliced up some avocado and put it on top with some salsa...voila! A healthy entree that didn't come out of a box!
3. Cottage cheese...You may think this is gross, but I eat it for lunch at least twice a week at work: a cup of cottage cheese, sliced up avocado and salad dressing or salsa of your choice. Really, seriously, it is good. Trust me.
4. An English muffin...cream cheese and avocado. Yum!
5. Any green salad...the avocado adds a different, non-crunchy texture.
6. Eggs...after you cook the eggs (preferable scrambled, or an omelet) just scatter avocado slices or dices on top. Add salsa if desired.
Upon further review...this list might be titled, "Things that are better with avocado AND salsa", lol.
Try one of these this week and get back to me. Really, I'm here for your health. I'm a giver.