There are some things that are timeless, like it or not.
1. Manners...Yes, that's a cliche, but it is true. Actually manners is the topic for a whole 'nother list....so I won't shoot my wad here. Let's just say that being well mannered will win you friends and make you look civilized. Like, if someone holds the door open for you at Starbucks SAY THANK YOU, pig-face!
2. Black pants...When in doubt, wear them. A funeral, a bar mitzvah, to work, out to dinner. Always acceptable...well, not to the pool or beach, then you'd just look like a freak on a day pass.
3. GH...General Hospital will always be in style. The fashion is great, the guys are hot and references are topical (a little Disney-centric, but hey, that is ABC for you.)
4. Cowboy boots...Cheesy? Absolutely not! Butter my butt and call me a biscuit...Cowboy boots are hot!! And if you don't like it I can kick you in the ass and then I bet you'd quit arguing. ;-)
5. Black tie weddings...Class never goes out of style. I don't like it when people have "destination" weddings..mostly because all the ones I've ever been invited to I can't afford to fly to. That sucks because I LOVE WEDDINGS! And if you are getting married the least you can do for the those of us who have to spend oodles on gifts, showers, sitters etc...is let us dress up pretty!
6. Loyalty...Be true to your friends. Two faced rudeness went out with junior high. Stick up for colleagues even if they don't always deserve it...you may need their help one day. Say what you will about some colleagues privately, but don't say anything to TPTB. I will not be responsible for someone losing their job or getting written up. Being a good person who can look themselves in the mirror never goes out of style!
7. Fondue...How can you ever go wrong with cooking little pieces of meat over a tiny flame in hot oil? Fun and yummy! Mmmmmm!! It is dinner and a show!
8. James Taylor songs...They are good if you are depressed, lonely, feeling romantic or just wanna sing along. I love James Taylor. I know most words to most songs...even the ones I don't like (like "Steamroller") or dumb ones (like "Gorilla"). Seriously, put "Something in the Way She Moves" or "Carolina on My Mind" on and see if you don't feel better. It will work...and then there is always "You've Got a Friend". That might be cheesy, but it will make you smile if you sing it really loudly in the car with a loyal friend.
9. Speaking your mind...I don't mean being rude or overly opinionated (perish the thought!) but speak up for what you believe, who you believe in and what you need. If you don't, you won't be able to live with yourself. And there ain't nothing stylish about that!
10. Kindness...go above and beyond once in a while. It will make you feel good and it helps someone else. Offer to watch a friend's kids, pay the dinner tab for a friend, bring soup to a shut-in. Ok, well I have never done that...yet. But I have done the other two, I swear!
11. A good book...Reading stuff online is easy and very convenient. That Kindle thing from Amazon is WAY cool. But really (and yes, perhaps it is the teacher in me) there is nothing like curling up with a book and getting lost in another world. Plus, you can't make margin notes on a computer screen or throw it in your purse to read when you are stuck in a carpool line or in the doctor's office waiting room.
Some might say I don't like change (Hannah???)...and that may very well be true. But some things are worth keeping around and relishing.So...chime in here folks...what else will never go out of style?